NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair 66 ED-R Vs WO Zenithstar 71ED For Imaging

Levster

Hi, I briefly got into imaging (from a city back garden) but kids and life got in the way so I sold up. I now have a bit more time so want to get back into it. I want a short refractor and I'm just about to buy a used HEQ5. Is there anything to choose between the two scopes below?

Link (400mm f/6):

https://www.altairastro.com/lightwave-66mm-f6-ed-r-refractor-with-dual-speed-r-p-focuser-alu-case.html

Link (418mm f/5.9)

http://m.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/william-optics-zenithstar-71-ed-doublet-refractor

My primary targets are M31, Flame Nebula and Horsehead. I want to stay unguided and short at the moment, then progress to longer and guided in the future.

There doesn't appear to be much in those two scopes though. I previously owned a Lightwave 432mm f/6 scope so I'm happy with the focal length, and the 432mm was a bit too narrow a FOV for Andromeda. Is the WO scope a better quality or performing scope than the Altair Astro?

I would suspect little in it as I guess that the Altair 66 is a derivitive of the William Optics ZS 66. Which was basically the smaller sibling of the ZS 72/71/70, WO had the scope in all 3 apertures at assorted times and I cannot see it being a different lens just a different aperure/retaining ring.

They both are doublets with FPL-51.

The WO has a Crayford focuser the Altair an R&P.

Main and a big difference is cost, every WO is at present their "anniversary" edition so an extra £'s on top for some colour combination. Couldn't they have a 20th annivrsary and celebrate by reducing the cost? And there doesn't seem to be the original bog standard (same) optically) ZS 72's around.

If it were to be the WO ZS @ £700 then I would seriously suggest going for the ES 80mm Essential, it is a triplet with the equivalent of FPL-51 and £535 from Rother Valley, FLO do not give a specific cost so maybe email them for an idea. Likely around the same.

Archived