M11 & Scutum Star cloud from Dordogne region

Or, everything is a new experience to learn!  It was all so much easier with slide film, which was the last effort I had at wide field stuff about 18 years ago.......

We're on holiday, not far fromvSarlat-la-Caneda in Perigord Noir (Dordogne) and I've brough astro kit as the campsite we're staying on is dark. Last night (first night here!) was clear, and I managed to get first lights on a large selection of stuff. I have my little GM8 + Gemini 1 with me (which promptly showed the internal battery had died - trip to Carrefour...), and have a modded 350d that has a Baader filter in it that I haven't really got round to using until now. Running with a Canon 85mm f1.8 USM lens using a homemade belt driven focuser, I took 6*3min on the Scutum star cloud centred on M11. 

Massive learning curve! Focusing wasn't too bad with the belt focuser (it's a homemade Arduino device runnng MyFocuserPro). Imaging took a little getting right given this is my first time out with this (think there's a USB hub issue with the Serial shutter cable) - but now think I have this sorted for next time. The lens looks like it has a fair amount of coma at the edges, even stopped down to f3.5  - might need to go a 1/3 or 2/3 stop further next time (no pixel peeping ;-))

Also first time processing DSLR using PI - reduced as CFA file and the debayered into 3 channels, then aligned and recombined into an RGB - it looks like the darks (only took 3 the morning after!) haven't quite got rid of the amp glow, and without Photoshop, finding it hard to eliminate!) . Anyhow, here's a shot of the Scutum star cloud: all in all, given how little I have practised, and the short exposure, I'm fairly pleased :)  Hopefully clear again later in week - at least the mount is aligned and I can star straight away when it's dark!

350d modded + Canon 85mm f1.8 USM (@ f3,5): 6*180sec.

Image15_DBE_clone.thumb.jpg.2e35b143244d19f8280b327b3718583c.jpg

Hah!, the Scutum area of the night sky, one of my favourite observation destinations.
Mind blowing density of Stellar Light. The Wild Duck the gem of the clouds nestling within
the comfortable pillows of that bed of suns.  
I remember colour slides too, always full of anticipation, waiting for the results to come back
from the processors shop. Mostly disappointing of course, but the fervour never died.
I hope the digital age will rescue me from those past failures.
However, the picture may have been a let down, but those sights through the eyepiece 
of my Home built 12" f6 Newt. were joy indeed.
You have a nice image there, and a memory stirrer for me, well done,
and the best of success going forward. :icon_salut:

Thanks Barkis - love your words about observing this region. It's a little too low for me at home (house a bit in the way!). And of course nowhere near as dark! Hopefully will get a little visual work in before hometime too!

Hopefully can sort some of the issues in post processing when home. Know what to change for next go though!

Archived