Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image of NGC 2371/2372

iansmith

Hello All,

Here is an mage of NGC 2371/2372. This single object has two NGC numbers as it was originally thought to be two separate nebula. I believe this is one of only a handful of such entries in the catalogue.

This particular image was taken over March 2017 using an Edge HD11 and Atik 414EX camera mounted on a Mesu 200. Guided with ONAG and ASI178MM.

The nebula is a bi colour narrow band image:  24 x 600s each in Ha and O3. The stars are broadband image: 10x150s in red, green and blue. All images have been corrected for dark current and flat fielded. The whole lot processed in PixInsight. I hope you like it, comments and criticisms welcome as I know my processing leaves a lot to be desired!

Cheers, Ian

ngc2371_2372.jpg

That's a nice catch, and well executed. The only comment one could have, is that the background seems a bit dark and possibly clipped (on my mobile phone at least).

Thanks for sharing

Thanks wimvb. According to the histogram tool in PixInsight the black point should be set to avoid clipping any pixels. I find the background level for images varies tremendously between monitors. On my laptop the background looks very dark but on the monitor attached to it the background is much brighter. This is one aspect of image processing that I haven't found any information on as yet.

Cheers, Ian.

On my laptop, the background looks much better, and not clipped at all. Small screens, as those used in mobile devices, generally have more saturated colours and contrast than computers.

Archived