NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter size for imaging camera

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The coma you are seeing is not from the filters but the optics. Clearly your scope, as it stands, is not delivering a flat enough field for your DSLR chip and having bigger filters wouldn't change that.

How horrible is your vignetting? We get a fall off in one of our rigs from 23000 ADU in the centre to about 18,500 ADU in the corners. That's a lot, but flats correct it.

Filter size also has a bearing on how many filters will fit in your wheel.

You will always need flats. They are very important. If you intend to use flats then you will also need a master bias to use as a dark for your flats. Since shooting a set of bias is so easy you might as well do it. I would use my master bias as a dark for my flats and also as a dark for my lights. I don't find full length darks very helpful on low noise chips but not having tried this camera I can't predict how it will behave. You might need full length darks (same as your lights) to remove the amp glow. Maybe a user will come in on this.

Why would you shoot through filters with a DSLR? You could shoot Ha but you'd find it very frustrating after using Ha in a mono camera. 

You say you found a cheaper supplier than FLO but did you find a more reliable dealer or one with a better returns policy? I very much doubt it. I never, never buy astro equipment on price.

Olly

Ok, what to answer??!!

I said i will shoot through filters with DSLR because of the light pollution in my country, the only way is narrow banding from what i hear or read, so if i didn't get a mono astro camera then DSLR is all what i have then i try to NB with it, even with a mono camera i might not get that great results, but i feel i can have something decent at least instead of DSLR.

It is not that i found a cheaper supplier or dealer, but i was meaning cheaper shipping or more options about shipping, also there are some items i didn't find it at all with FLO, the first site i bought from for my astronomy is FLO anyway, great service, 2 orders so far, but i have other items i didn't find in FLO and some items i found on FLO and another supplier and got better shipping from another dealer, so i have to try all and see.

I don't care about return so far, not all items are enlisted for return, and most return maybe is based on a specific countries or locally or a supplier continent, so i won't put much hope on the return, and most items i buy lucklly and tankfully are great and not defective, all i have to do is to take care of my items, i get use to buy from online overseas since 2005, and about 99% i have no issues, so i hope it keeps that way, and i don't worry to buy overseas very expensive items.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived