Starsense Controller Locks Up

I just got the prodigy 130 with the Starsense controller. Last night I couldn't get the menu to open. Today I was going to try and update everything. I opened Menu to brighten the display and now I can't get the controller to get out of the menu. The manual for this thing is really vague. It just says push this button and this button but when I push a button nothing happens. Could I possible have a brand new bad controller. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

21 hours ago, Timothy Tappan said:

I just got the prodigy 130 with the Starsense controller. Last night I couldn't get the menu to open. Today I was going to try and update everything. I opened Menu to brighten the display and now I can't get the controller to get out of the menu. The manual for this thing is really vague. It just says push this button and this button but when I push a button nothing happens. Could I possible have a brand new bad controller. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

When you say you were going to try and update everything can you explain what you mean exactly?

Did you brighten the display? Basically dd it go into the menu or just display the menu and not allow you to do anything even initially.

Not sure of anything I suggest but are there 2 ports on the handset, (it might be 2 ports on the scope body)? If so is one for the general/normal operation and the other for updating the handset firmware. Wondering if the lead is therefore plugged into the correct socket on the handset for operating or is it in a socket for firmware update. Just have an odd idea there may be 2 ports and each are for different purposes. It is the statement "Today i was going to try and update everything". Half think I have read of people doing the update then putting the lead back into the "update" socket and nothing works.

This is from the manual I have (pdf electronic) saying the RS232 port is for:-

RS-232 Jack: Connects your telescope to a computer to access software programs for point-and-click slewing, or updating firmware via PC

I can see the Starsense manual but it refers to the Starsense as a seperate additional item. You post read s that it is an integral part of the scope and thee is no seperate Synscan. So functionality may be a bit different.

With the handset disconnected you could try pressing a few times each button in turn. Sometimes the membrane sticks and if a button sticks down then it blocks anything else that is pressed. Idea is press each and feel if each appears to operate correct. If the membrane has stuck then I can only suggest the unit goes back to the supplier. You cannot reallistically do anything without invalidationg the warrenty.

And yes you can have a brand new bad controller.

You are Pressing "Back" to exit the Menu aren't you ? Mind you there seems no alternative available so you must be, one handset has an Esc button. Just better ask.

Archived