NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you attach a coma corrector to a self centering adapter?

Hello,

So first things first I would like to state I am still very green with all this astrophotography malarkey so require a little help in understanding how a coma corrector is fitted in the optical train.

I recently purchased a HEQ5 Pro and a Skywatcher 200pds which I will confess I haven't used once as currently trying to clue myself up on as much important information with regards to the processes of astrophotography. I have already centered the reticule in the polar scope though and am currently looking in to how is best to collimate the telescope. After reading up a little on the different methods of collimation I came across the use of a laser collimator and a self centering adapter. The adapter in question states you can directly attach your dslr to it after the removal of the locking ring and the compression olive, once removed you expose an M48 male thread which I assume you can connect your dslr to with the correct T-ring adapter.

My reason for wanting to connect to the self centering adapter is that I like the idea of not changing the focuser in anyway after collimating the telescope, this seems logical to me but again maybe not as know very little. 
So with all that said I was wondering is it possible in anyway to attach a skywatcher coma corrector to the self centering adapter and then still attach your dslr? I understand its possible without the self centering adapter but just wondering if I can keep that in place. 

The pictures below are the adapter and coma corrector in question.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

skywatcher_coma_corrector.jpg.55b92df67b93fe9beee02ba276ef4a87.jpg

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-laser-collimator-2-1.25-self-centering-adapter-kit.html

AA-SCA-2-125_imaging-instructions_350w.jpg.3d012aa55619cc537d6c544db8d59760.jpg

Hi, I cannot answer your question straight away but I have the SW CC coming my way early next week, I also use a self centering adaptor on my VX reflector, so if no one answers in the meantime I will be able to hopefully in a few days!

On 3/31/2017 at 14:30, JG777 said:

Hi, I cannot answer your question straight away but I have the SW CC coming my way early next week, I also use a self centering adaptor on my VX reflector, so if no one answers in the meantime I will be able to hopefully in a few days!

Thanks for the reply.

I found this picture of how to attach the coma corrector and am now starting to think it may not be possible unless you can fit the centering adapter in to the coma corrector's own adapter which seems to screw into the focuser. If you ever get a chance to give it a go yourself any feedback would be much appreciated.

Ross

coma-corrector-instructions-800w.jpg.bb5cfbc52aef691211d221d7779bff76.jpg

Archived