Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light G28300 - Rosette

steviemac500

First image. This is only 80mins of 7NM HA so quite encouraging results. I think the imbalance of the scope has caused star issues top left and right. I added dark and bias but it definitely needs more data which might have to wait till next year! It's also a really quick process so that i could see something! Thanks for looking!

NGC22448300.jpg

On 22/03/2017 at 23:23, ollypenrice said:

Any imbalance in the scope would probably produce trailing in one direction. What you have here (which is not a big deal) comes from something optical like chip distance or tilt. It's a good result.

Olly

I think the weight of the camera is moving the focuser tube, everything else is definitely square. Is it worth upgrading the focuser, I only have the Skywatcher motor upgrade in at the moment. 

9 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

I think the weight of the camera is moving the focuser tube, everything else is definitely square. Is it worth upgrading the focuser, I only have the Skywatcher motor upgrade in at the moment. 

Before splashing you could try imaging just before and just after the meridian flip. See if the distortions change position.

Olly

Edit: Or, if the way the rig is set up allows it, just rotate the entire imaging tube in the rings between a pair of subs to see if the distortions change sides.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:04, ollypenrice said:

Before splashing you could try imaging just before and just after the meridian flip. See if the distortions change position.

Olly

Edit: Or, if the way the rig is set up allows it, just rotate the entire imaging tube in the rings between a pair of subs to see if the distortions change sides.

Thanks Olly. It seems i may have been wrong, there is a slight tilt. The problem is that my Skywatcher focuser only has 2 locking bolts to hold the reducer/camera in place and the side where there is no bolt is where the weight is pulling it down. Not sure how best to tackle this as it would seem that i need a focuser with 3 locking bolts?

Archived