NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade LPI problem

Hi all,

I'm very new to all this but recently got a Meade ETX-80 and decided to purchase a Meade LPI imager with it. After finiding it doesn't work with Vista I now have an XP SP3 setup on my laptop.

The issue I now have is that I don't seem to be able to get any images through it, it just seems to be 'fuzzy'. I have, hopefully, attached an image to this post which shows my program along with the about box to show the Envisage version. This is simply a preview out my window into the street but I was assuming that I could test it out like this but as you can see just fuzz and seems that unless I point it at a light source it doesn't really change much. It pretty much seems to look like this whether thorugh the scope or on it's own

Am I doing something wrong, being impatient or have a duff LPI?

Thanks.

7788_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It's been clouds, clouds, clouds :hello2: pretty much since I got it so much luck looking up yet, I'm hoping for a better night tonight :clouds1:

I was trying to point it down the street at buildings, as suggested in the set-up manual, and have focused from one extreme to tthe other and it doesn't seem to change but I shall try more tonight.

Lee

You ought to try and image a faint light at some distance. A street light might saturate the sensor.

Is it a LPI or a DSI camera Lee. Are you selecting live view. I am not being funny here, but I went through the same thing with my DSI I notice the live view box is not ticked.

Ron.

Sorry I'm not paying attention. It is LPI.

Nope found that it does not work at all in Vista, there is a work around posted but I'm not convinced, so I built a fresh XP SP3 set-up and the screenshot is pretty much all I've achieved to date.

Lee, did you see my earlier post ie, have had the live box ticked. In the image you sent, I notice the live box is not ticked.

Sorry Barkis, was rushing a sneaky reply in from work!

No the box isn't ticked for the screenshot bu was ticked with the defualt 1 second refresh set. I noticed that as it refreshes it is there is a lsight fluctuation but some of the coloured pixels simpy remain the same, even when moving the scope.

I will be trying some more testing over the coming nights of the street and night sky to see where I get.

You will notice by the side of the live box that Ron pointed out at you is "AUTO EXP", Try pushing this, if no joy next to it is another box that you have set to default at 1 second try different settings on this, you should at least notice a change in the screen.

Jeff.

I decide to re-acquaint myself with the LPI before offering any further advice so ....

I dug out my old LPI and attached it to a 400mm f5.6 lens via an adaptor...

I would pick a reasonably contrasty target in daylight to try and get things working...

I have it looking at the tiles on the roof of a house about 100 feet away...

Settings are...

Terrestrial

Gain 100

Offset 53

Exposure 0.004

Autocontrast is checked...

Live is checked...

and I have a picture...

can we get the obvious stupid questions out of the way - please excuse me for asking them

lens cap removed?

What about the flip mirror?

and flip barlow?

Billy...

Billy...

p.s.

I decide to re-acquaint myself with the LPI before offering any further advice so ....

I dug out my old LPI and attached it to a 400mm f5.6 lens via an adaptor...

I would pick a reasonably contrasty target in daylight to try and get things working...

I have it looking at the tiles on the roof of a house about 100 feet away...

Settings are...

Terrestrial

Gain 100

Offset 53

Exposure 0.004

Autocontrast is checked...

Live is checked...

and I have a picture...

can we get the obvious stupid questions out of the way - please excuse me for asking them

lens cap removed?

What about the flip mirror?

and flip barlow?

Billy...

Billy...

p.s.

Looks like he was over exposing by using 1 second then, To much for daylight.

Jeff.

Hi all,

Well I had a little more sucess last night and yes for some reason previously when I clicked the auto exp button it stopped really quickly but this time it adjusted gradually over time and I got more an image rather than the spekckles so thanks to Pyschobilly who provided the details and a suggested exposure of 0.004, not 1!

The issue i now have and this is probably related is that my focus knob is no longer working :hello2: it does not change at all but was ok when I 1st got the scope last week.

I carefully removed the small plastic piece just behind the focuser, only 1 small screw holding it in, and with a small socket piece I can wind it round successfully. I assume something has come loose then?

If I have to get Meade involved is their UK support good, the scope was mail order from Telescope Planet so not a local shop I can pop it back to if required.

Lee

It's great to hear you are making progress Lee. There are always the inevitable hiccups when dealing with imaging equipment. It took me ages to suss my DSI out, but got there in the end.

You can buy Billy a pint when you meet at some star party in the future. :laughing2:

Ron. :hello2:

Please see here my success of a distant rooftop :clouds1: Happy that my LPI is good to go & thanks to all again.

The bad news however is that one of the probs seems to be that my focuser has indeed ceased to work (8 days old) and was stuck focused only a few meters ahead. By using the small socket piece I was able to focus on the rooftop and get the photo so at least I know the LPI is ok.

I've contacted the shop and am waiting a response to see what they say, I can't see any easy way of fixing this so it may be a return I guess :hello2:

Lee

7819_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Quick update - the scope is being picked up by a courier tomorrow and going back to the supplier who should then in turn send me a shiny new one, hopefully if they turn around quickly I should see it on Friday ready for the weekend :hello2:

New scope arrived yesterday and from the quick check I've done the build quality seems much better, the focuser works, the eyepiece screw actually has a full thread so it doesn't just slide throough and even the endcap fits better, basically the last scope seemed to have a thread issue!

I'm out tonight but hopefully they'll be some gazing over the long weekend and I'll publish my 1st real LPI to let you all know how I get on :)

Archived