NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi guys!-Another newbie..Not the first..or the last....so..10 inch or 12??

Celestine

Hi Ade and welcome to SGL. I liked your intro story as it has a certain resonance with my own story... Except in my case, I did a few years as a "wee nipper" with a 40mm Tasco. Of course, at that age, anything was a bonus, and I was just as excited as it was possible to be

Regarding your current predicament, then a large dob is indeed something that once you get you will certainly get used to. I've owne mine for only a couple of months and of course, even though the skies are not dark have seen a fair few "wow's" to keep me smiling ear to ear.

My learnings so far are that even my 16" manages to fit into the back of my Mini Cooper so a 12" would be a breeze (!). Also, get used to learning all about collimation. It's essential with a fast dbosonian as no doubt, the 12" is.. a good cheshire and plenty of confidence will work wonders for you.

Finally, don;t be afraid to ask for help on SGL - no matter how daft you think the Q might be. This is easily the most friendly place for astronomers to hang out - no politics and plenty of great people

Good luck !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ade, and welcome to SGL.

There was a 10" Revelation on UK Astronomy Buy and Sell yesterday. Personally, I don't think the difference between a 10" and 12" is all that noticable, in fact, a well collimated 10" will beat a badly collimated 12" lightbridge (mine!) every time.

Archived