NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Setup Advice

Hi guys, I am at that stage where in the next month I'm about to pull the trigger on a new setup and would like your thoughts. The setup will be based on imaging and living in Australia I will have a budget of $10,000. In the past I have owned the following equipment, Celestron AVX, CGEM, Edge HD 8" OTA, William Optics GT 81mm, William Optics Star 71 Astrograph, Stellarvue 115. I had to sell these items to get maintain mortgage repayments due to being made redundant, this was sometime ago now.... So now I'm stable again it's time to get back into imaging.

Also keep in mind that I do travel to dark site locations so being portable for mount setup is preferable and refractors because that's the kind of guy I am lol.

I am looking at the following

Mount: CGEM DX or CGX - Reason for Celestron Mounts, I really enjoy their software. I was looking at the Losmandy G11 Gemini II however that exceededs my budget of around $700

Telescope: Televue NP101is

In regards to the telescopes optics, how does it compare to the Stellarvue and William Optics that I have used in the past? If anyone had hand on experience with these scopes and could give some advice that would be great.

As for my camera I'm currently using.... I have a Nikon D810a and looking to purchase a Atik 9.0 Mono about a few months down the track after the Mount and Scope setup is complete.

If you guys have any advice or suggestions to improving the setup, that would be great.... Thank you.

Archived