Which of these barlows do you recommend me for my hyperion?

Hi,

I would like to know please which of these barlows do you recommend me for my hyperion:

GSO 1.25" 2x "Shorty" Achromatic Barlow Lens
GSO 1.25" 2.5x Apochromatic Barlow Lens
Barlow Baader Planetarium Q-2,25x 
Barlow Baader APO-VIP modular 
Baader Barlow Hyperion 2.25x 

Thank you,

Regards.

It depends -- for a 5mm Hyperion eyepiece in an f/10 telescope I would recommend no Barlow at all.

Please help us along a bit:
- what telescope do you have?  It would be helpful if you know focal length, focal ratio and/or aperture.
- what other eyepieces do you have (focal lengths)?
- what is the focal length of the Hyperion eyepiece that you want the barlow for?

Here are some considerations we have to take into account: For some telescopes you need a shorty barlow, for others not. In a 1.25" focuser a long barlow will stick out very high, but will probably work just fine. Magnification can get too high for the telescope or for the atmosphere. Longer focal length eyepieces may suffer from vignetting when used with a barlow and require a tele-extender instead.

I have three non-shorty barlows myself: 1.8x, 2.5x and 3x. As far as I know they are not APO, yet they introduce no colour friging, blue halo or whatever. There are many decent barlows around.

9 hours ago, Ruud said:

It depends -- for a 5mm Hyperion eyepiece in an f/10 telescope I would recommend no Barlow at all.

Please help us along a bit:
- what telescope do you have?  It would be helpful if you know focal length, focal ratio and/or aperture.
- what other eyepieces do you have (focal lengths)?
- what is the focal length of the Hyperion eyepiece that you want the barlow for?

Here are some considerations we have to take into account: For some telescopes you need a shorty barlow, for others not. In a 1.25" focuser a long barlow will stick out very high, but will probably work just fine. Magnification can get too high for the telescope or for the atmosphere. Longer focal length eyepieces may suffer from vignetting when used with a barlow and require a tele-extender instead.

I have three non-shorty barlows myself: 1.8x, 2.5x and 3x. As far as I know they are not APO, yet they introduce no colour friging, blue halo or whatever. There are many decent barlows around.

Thanks for your answer.

I have a 8'' dobson 1200 mm. 

I have the hyperion mark II zoom.

I think I would use the barlow for the 8 and 10mm.

Regards.

I have both badder Q-2.25 and VIP barlow,  would recommend VIP barlow of your list.

Q-2.25 is an excellent barlow, VIP is much more versatile, you can many small adations to make it more suitable to your needs.

e.g. VIP modified for 2" focuser:

Modified_VIP_cap.jpg

VIP with clicklcok:

clicklock_VIP.jpg

Mark III zoom with 1.9x VIP, can be used in 2" focuser directly:

baader_zoom_VIP19.jpg

Archived