The Usual Suspects in Orion

This is my first attempt at anything in Orion, including M42... up to now Ive avoided it due to the huge dynamic range but I decided it's time to learn layer masking!  This is also the first time I've stacked in DSS with calibration files, up to now I've been median stacking in PS with no calibration at all.

I'm not too please with this one, the layer masking at the core of M42 is ham-fisted and the focus is off slightly. I just put the shorter subs underneath and used the eraser on the longer sub layer.  I need to learn layer blending to smooth the core but I'll save that for another day.

I'm also beginning to severely dislike the colour blotch from the DSLR... I've only been at this imaging game a few weeks and already I'm 'browsing' mono CCDs! 

Modded Canon 700D with 135mm Takumar at f5.6 on star adventurer.

6*180sec lights with 6 darks, 10 flats and 10 bias.  ISO1600.

6*30 secs outer core M42. No calibration.

6*10 secs inner core M42. No calibration.

All C&C gratefully received!

Orion 002.jpg

Great image. You managed to get several dso's with good detail and nice colour. I'd be pleased with that. As for blending the different exposures, have a look at the link in Sara's reply in the supplied thread.

Good luck

That's a very nice first attempt, and i love the colors of the flame and HH nebula! :)

It looks a bit magenta around Alnitak, and perhaps The Running Man? The core of M42 is fine, but the combination of the lower exposed core may have darkened a bit too much between the core and the rest of the nebula.

11 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image. You managed to get several dso's with good detail and nice colour. I'd be pleased with that. As for blending the different exposures, have a look at the link in Sara's reply in the supplied thread.

Good luck

Thanks, that's a very useful link!

4 hours ago, Jannis said:

That's a very nice first attempt, and i love the colors of the flame and HH nebula! :)

It looks a bit magenta around Alnitak, and perhaps The Running Man? The core of M42 is fine, but the combination of the lower exposed core may have darkened a bit too much between the core and the rest of the nebula.

Thanks for the comments :) yes I think the core could be blended much better, I'll have another go at it.  

Archived