NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ8 mounting bolts queries

michaelmorris

I'm (hopefully) about to buy an EQ8.  It will be mounted on a pier in my observatory.  I want to get the bolts for mounting it, but I can't find some of the relevant dimension for ordering the bolts -  can anyone help?

1 -The central mounting bolt is M12, is this correct?

2 - What is the depth of the hole into which the M12 bolt threads?

3 - There are four M6 azimuth locking bolts,  is this correct?

4 - Is the hole through which the azimuth locking bolts feed threaded?

5 - What is the thickness of the section of plate at the bottom of the head through which these bolts go?

Thanks

This will help Michael:

skywatcher_eq8_mount_pier_top.jpg

1 -The central mounting bolt is M12, is this correct?

Yes

2 - What is the depth of the hole into which the M12 bolt threads?
Any depth you like, though the base should be beefy. You can also drill it a clearance and bolt it from underneath.

3 - There are four M6 azimuth locking bolts,  is this correct?

No. Two M8 bolts.

4 - Is the hole through which the azimuth locking bolts feed threaded?

The mount has slots. You can tap the pier base plate to M8 or drill it clearance and run bolts through with a nut underneath. Tapping is better though.

5 - What is the thickness of the section of plate at the bottom of the head through which these bolts go?

About 10mm, from memory. It doesn't really matter though. As long as they are long enough to engage in the threads properly then any excess will just stick through.

Good luck with the mount...they are good bits of kit.

Thanks

The adaptor plate will be mounted on top of a pair of existing adjustment plates.  These two plates only have about 4cm centimetres clearance between them, so I need the bolts to be the right length, not too long or too short.  This is why I need to have a good idea of the maximum length of available for the M12 bolt to screw in to.

I know that the easiest way to sort this out would be to have some patience and wait until the mount arrives, but I'm an impatient old *** and I'd like to be able to mount the EQ8 on the pier as soon as it arrives. :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Thanks

The adaptor plate will be mounted on top of a pair of existing adjustment plates.  These two plates only have about 4cm centimetres clearance between them, so I need the bolts to be the right length, not too long or too short.  This is why I need to have a good idea of the maximum length of available for the M12 bolt to screw in to.

Loads of room then.

If you are using an adapter then you need to factor that in. personally, I wouldn't (and didn't) bother with an adapter and just drilled and tapped the pier top plate as per the diagram. You can get M12 bolts in a variety of lengths from any Wickes store, so you will be able to get them up to 8PM every night.

Archived