Fogged up focal reducer

Davey-T

Started imaging tonight and got fuzzy subs, took the camera off and looked down the end and the WO 1V focal reducer was dewed up between the elements, warmed it up gently with a hair drier and it cleared but don't know if it's trapped inside and will reappear sometime.

Put it back on the scope with a dew band round it and just taking some more subs to see if it stays clear.

Anyone had this problem, anyone taken one of these apart ?

Dave

It's actually trapped between the elements

Fogged-FR.png

Dave, the best solution is to pop it into a plastic bag with silica gel (about a tea-cup full) and leave it for a few days - maybe a week if you can. Saves having to dismantle the thing. This really should not happen during a session and I would ask what conditions do you store these accessories in?

ChrisH

5 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Dave, the best solution is to pop it into a plastic bag with silica gel (about a tea-cup full) and leave it for a few days - maybe a week if you can. Saves having to dismantle the thing. This really should not happen during a session and I would ask what conditions do you store these accessories in?

ChrisH

It may be because I usually leave it out in the obsy but I had it all indoors in the afternoon to fit the new HA filter then took it back out in the cold and fitted it back on the scope in early evening.

Can't see how it got inside of it, guess it's not airtight.

I'd need a week of cloudy skies to dry it out :eek:

Archived