Jump to content

NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feeling a bit rusty


Recommended Posts

Hi all

Haven't been around here for a year or two, I took a big break from imaging but am slowly getting back in to the swing of things for the winter.

I recently finished off collecting data on m31 which i started back in 2014, and am looking for some advice on my image. I haven't processed DSO for a couple of years and i'm feeling really rusty! Fortunately m31 is relatively easy, but I still feel like I'm missing things which perhaps you guys can nudge me in the right direction with.

The combination is 30 x 300s over LRGB, plus 15 x 60s LRGB which I've masked in just the core.

The red data was a bit weak, the light pollution around me has gotten really bad in the past 2 years, so I'm off out now to redo half of the red data, as well as run a couple of hours of Ha to blend in.

Your critical eyes are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

core_RGB_masking.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice image. Doing this galaxy justice isn't easy, but you have faint detail, round stars and colour ok. Processing tips depend very much on which software you use.

You might try to increase contrast in the galaxy, making it stronger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice image. Doing this galaxy justice isn't easy, but you have faint detail, round stars and colour ok. Processing tips depend very much on which software you use.

You might try to increase contrast in the galaxy, making it stronger.

 

Thank you wim, that's a good point.

I got some good red and Ha data last night and that's helping the contrast in the galaxy natrually as there wasn't much contrast in the original red data (really hazy night).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jezhughes said:

... as there wasn't much contrast in the original red data (really hazy night).

That would also explain the red halos around some stars. To remove these you can either replace the data or try deconvolution on just the red data.

Cheers,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That would also explain the red halos around some stars. To remove these you can either replace the data or try deconvolution on just the red data.

Cheers,

 

Yeah new data has helped a bit with the halos, its mainly where I didn't get around to masking the stars on top of the galaxy in that original photo, that's why they're a bit red. Haven't found a way to do it which I'm happy with yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I think it looks great. As Wim said, a bit more local contrast would lift it. The core also looks a bit stellar. I always do a separate layer for the core o this.

But very good indeed on a hard target.

Olly

 

Thanks, Olly.

Update: I added my new red data and a couple of hours of Ha. The red is a stronger now, my old red data really wasn't great. 

I need to work on the colour a bit more as well as the stars, and I can't seem to get the core right yet. I'm a bit lost in the photo now so I'm going to rest it for a few days and come back to it. I'm happier with this though and am getting back on top of my workflow.

Thanks for your feedback

M31_Final_export.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite an improvement with the added data. I like the added Ha regions.

I had a quick peek at the core. The image has detail very close to the center of the core.

I did a quick HDR transform in PixInsight to reveal it. It isn't pretty, but it does show what's there.

This was from the compressed jpeg.

M31_rusty.png

You wrote earlier that the core is from 60 s subs. I wonder if the longer 300 s subs wouldn't actually reveal more of the core and the dust bands near it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, wimvb said:

Quite an improvement with the added data. I like the added Ha regions.

I had a quick peek at the core. The image has detail very close to the center of the core.

I did a quick HDR transform in PixInsight to reveal it. It isn't pretty, but it does show what's there.

This was from the compressed jpeg.

M31_rusty.png

You wrote earlier that the core is from 60 s subs. I wonder if the longer 300 s subs wouldn't actually reveal more of the core and the dust bands near it.

That does look better indeed, I haven't got PI so I'll have to work out a way to achieve it in Photoshop..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.