NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting 2" filters to SCT thread?

michaelmorris

At the moment I seem to be spending most of my days trying to get my head around planning a major upgrade to my kit.  This will hopefully include a CCD camera.  One of the configurations I want to be able to have is 

Mono CCD camera>filter wheel> off-axis guider>Focal reducer> 2" IDAS filter>66mm APO

The back of the focal reducer and the back of the scope (both of which I already have) are both SCT threaded, so I'm going to need somehow sandiwch a 2" filter between female and male SCT threads

One option would be to buy a low profile SCT to 2" adaptor (http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_0_3_105) and a Baader Clicklock 2" to SCT adaptor.  Whilst this would work, I do have concerns about the extra back focus requirement and the cost (£81)

An alternative would be the following (preferably very low profile) adaptors

• Male SCT to female 2" fillter thread
  • Male 2" filter thread to female SCT

Any ideas where I can get such things?

(P.S. The IDAS filter will also need to used on a 2" nosepiece on two other configurations, so an SCT threaded filter is not likely to be an option)

Cheers

Archived