Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eagle Nebula advice?

Hi! I've reached the one month mark of astrophotography, and I have so far collected 4 hours 14 minutes and 30 seconds of data from the Eagle Nebula. I've been doing 30 second subframes at ISO 800. So I figured, why not stack what I have so far? :) I have used dithering, and also rotated my dslr in its focuser tube between frames to get a relatively even image. I am very excited about this one, but I am not sure if I should be, if that makes sense. I cannot think of anything specific that I dislike, but I was wondering if I'm getting as much performance as I can out of my telescope and camera for now. By, "for now," I mean that as of this moment, I have no auto guider, and have yet to purchase backyard nikon (I don't really NEED it, but I just really want it ;) ).  I'm waiting to accumulate some more money before I get both of these. Let me know what you think, and how I can improve. Thanks!

P.S. I have included closeups from this image of the Pillars of Creation, the Stellar Spire, and an interesting little Bok Globule (let me know if it isn't a genuine Bok, I was just assuming)

Using an 8" Orion Newtonian Astrograph, Atlas EQ G mount, synscan goto controller, Nikon D3200, Baader MPCC Mark 3, and a 2" Astronomic Light pollution filter.

Eagle Nebula Best 4hr 14mn 30s.jpg

PillarsofCreation4hr.jpg

Stellar Spire in M16.jpg

BokGlobuleM16.jpg

Hi Costas,

Really like the original image, your stars are good to the edges of the field. it will not stand up to zoom and close up until you get more data, just extra 30sec subs will not do this you need to try longer subs.

With decent polar alignment you should be able to get at least 3 minute or maybe up to 5 minute subs without star trails, these will greatly improve the detail captured and improve the SNR. Just try to find the limit of the tracking of the mount before you get into guiding.

HTH

Archived