Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are these camera artifacts and how can I remove them

When I use my new camera I have six spots that appear on every frame. These usually become invisible on stacking so I've got away with ignoring them so far but I would like to remove them properly.

The artifacts are definitely in the camera because they remain fix on the frame as I rotate the camera.

They appear to be some kind of heavily defocussed image so I am guessing at diffraction from dust on the front of the camera

The camera is a QHY5Lii mono.

What is the best way to remove these? Can I remove this by cleaning the camera or is it best to leave the cause there and process them out with light frames (or is it bias or flat or ...?)

Please ignore the defocussed image. This was just the first frame of an AVI and the artefacts are also independent of focussing which is another reason they are probably camera artefacts)

artefact.jpg

artefact2.jpg

Dust bunnies on the sensor screen.

You can either try blowing them away with a blower or if you have any cleaning fluid and swabs. Not sure about the QHY but I have been known to use a lens pen too.
Also you can take flats, although I never have with a lunar image I assume the process is similar to solar where you defocus the image completely and take a short avi about 400 frames?

You can then make a flat frame in Autostakkert and add it to the final stack.

Archived