Can anyone recommend me a small Tracking base for wide field

What are the 2 iOptron options?
I can only think of their SkyTracker and their SmartEQ. The SkyTracker being somewhat similar to the Star Adventurer.

My preference would be the SmartEQ, it is a full EQ mount and I would have thought performed a bit better or at least more "solid". The 2 trackers are also aimed at attaching a camera, whereas the SmartEQ should take a DSLR on it's own and also a DSLR and small refractor - thinking 66mm or 72mm as the top limit.

The "problem" would be portability, the 2 Trackers will be a lot smaller although you still need a tripod and really a stable tripod and stability comes with size/weight/cost. So you may not gain as much in the portability stakes as you could expect. You will also need power for either option - althought the SkyTracker says 4AA's so that is nice a small (not I assume rechargeables).

I would sit and add up the cost of everything as in Tracker+Ball Head+Tripod compared to SmartEQ, and there will be other small items required - there always are.

Equally it is just my guess that you mean the initial 3 items as the options in your choice, if I have those wrong then all this is irrelevant. :help:

Archived