NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomical Society Catalogue (ASC)

I have been trying to track down either an online version of this, or anything that provides a modern-day equivalency to the numbers used, but without success. Doesn't appear to be anything on VizieR. So wondering if anyone on here is aquainted with any such resource.

To give a little context, in JH's General Catalogue (1863) the note on GC2405 (p24) states "The bright * is 1341 A.S.C.", and A.S.C. is listed in the abbreviations as  Astronomical Society Catalogue. All well and good in itself, but not a lot of help if I cannot find the modern designation. In this particular instance, I precessed CdC to 1880 (the epoch of the catalogue) and from this it was pretty clear that this particular star is HD 99196, but the entire process would be a lot simpler if I could find a decent source as outlined above.

Thanks.

Archived