NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-map.org - have they closed down?

larsmn

Well, not local software, but still web-based software; I have since 2011 up until last autumn been using sky-map.org as my session planner.  

Much better than Google Sky (can't get it to work), Stellarium (cumbersome and lacking close-up pictures) and others to identify the nights
objects and peculiarities. with close-ups to check size etc. And with  their Beta version, it was a very good support to navigate.  

But something has happened, started last winter, the site being unstable and now more or less down.  Tried to write them, but no reply. 
Anyone knowing whats going on, if they closed shop or so?  

Cheers/Lars

:-(  Not here,  gets that the DNS entry do not exist. But now wikysky works.  However, that to is mostly gone after 18:00 GMT.  Is like the system do not run 24/7 but US night (04:00 GMT-) 

Now it is 20:36 CET / 18:36 GMT and both is again without DNS entries again.  Anyone knows how to contact these guys, for the contact info at the sites is not working. 

Cheers

Just tried and it works fine for me.

Usually a DNS means that the DNS server you use cannot locarte or has not the entry for the site required, not sure why. Had a similar problem a couple of years back.

Suggest you swap your DNS server to something like the google one of 8.8.8.8 an alternative Google seems to be 8.8.4.4

There is an OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 think I had a bit of a problem with these.

FreeDNS is 37.235.1.174 and 37.235.1.177 I have a note against these about Austria.

If ypu are using your ISP's DNS servers then I have experience BT can go a bit 'iffy on occasions.

I now use different DNS's (though BT is my ISP) and I've not had problems.

But even for me they were "unavailable" the other day but are available earlier and now (and I've not switched DNS in the meantime).

Ian

Hi, am using Swedish national registrar, IIS.se, DNS. Same guys that is operating one of the 12 root server sites for ICANN, so that's not my problem. And Sky-map is the only regular site with this behavior.   

Problem resolved, checked with MXToolbox.com and there is several faults in the DNS record definitions for the sky-map.org. That's why it is flaky. 

Archived