NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How I collimated my Zhumell laser collimator

I don't have any pictures but with the help of you all I was able to collimate my laser collimator.

Sticking a couple blocks of wood together to allow it to spin and be held in place was easy.  There are 101010 ways to do this.  I could have stuck my 2" to 1.25" reducer in my vice and spun my laser collimator in that even.  Whatever you do, make sure you have access to the adjustment screws.

The difficult thing for me to deal with was the 3 allen screws which held the rear of the laser in place and are apparently meant for adjustment.  Loosening one then tightening two was getting old.  The Right Angle Finder Scope my telescope came with inspired me.  I pulled one of the three allen screws out of my collimator and shoved in a spring.  I used what I had, a spring that was about a cm wide.  A benefit of the oversize spring was I did not need to glue it in place.  I left it long enough to push the back of the laser towards the remaining two screws.  Then I spun it repeatedly in my wood blocks and collimated it.

Of course I then collimated my scope and what do you know, its raining tonight so I can't test the end result of my handy work though lol

Archived