NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using Explorer 150P

Could please let have users comments about how they have foundoperating the Explorer 150P as I am considering acquiring this as my first telescope. Information about the how users find the setting up of this scope.  Also any comments about useful accessories that I might acquire at a later date.  Thanks. David Nice

Welcome to the forum David, you will always find helpful advice from the great members here.

This is the scope I use with which I have had some great nights.

Having said that would I start with this scope knowing what I do now, no.

IMO using an equatorial mount is only necessary for astro imaging and a substantially more stable mount than the EQ3-2 is required.

Using a Newtonian scope on an equatorial mount is a really fiddly business, the eyepiece is often in an unusable position and means twisting the tube in the rings.

If I was starting now I would be looking at the 8" Dobsonian:- http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian-telescope.html, this is far easier to use, has more aperture and is only slightly more expensive.

Whichever scope you choose you will probably want to think about a different finder scope. Many of us use a Telrad in combination with a Right Angled Correct Image (RACI) finder which works very well.

I'm sure there will be many answers and advice coming your way, just take your time and try to see these scope in the flesh and best of all in use.

Archived