Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet another DIY Bahtinov mask

DHEB

Hello everybody,

After getting tired of bad focusing I decided to take matters seriously and build a Bahtinov mask. Needless to say, information and inspiration in this forum proved crucial for the success of the adventure. I used a Bahtinov model from astrojargon.net, for my Skywatcher 200 PDS f/5 (1000 focal length). I printed the SVG file to an A3 paper sheet and then transferred it from the paper to a semi-rigid plastic sheet about 1 mm thickness that I happened to have at home. I cut out the plastic using a normal hobby knife, a loborious task indeed. Lastly, applied mate paint and glued some bits of plastic foam to make the mask fit inside the tube. The whole task took me about 2 hours work, and zero costs. Now waiting to have some clear skies to test it. Hope it works!

bahtinov_ea02.jpg

bahtinov_ea01.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update this thread on some test of my DIY Bahtinov mask, in this example Arcturus. Overall very happy and satisfied with this focusing tool. Very recommendable!

arcturus-bahtinov_annotated.png

arcturus-final.png

On 5/10/2016 at 20:10, nicks90 said:

wouldnt a Y shaped mask be much easier to make and do the same job?

I do not know. I have seen pictures with the idea you mention but never tried. May be a Y shaped one suffers less from diminshed brightness. Worth a try!

Archived