Baader Zeiss Prism Diagonal vs. TeleVue Everbrite Dielectric

iPeace

:rolleyes2:

ADVISORY: If sharing one fellow member's experience of and thoughts on receiving a specific new bit of kit (which, even in the smallest scheme of things, might not matter a single photon) is not your thing, please make your way to the exits in orderly fashion. There is complimentary moonlight available just outside the front entrance offered as compensation for any inconvenience you might have experienced.

"What's that, a paperweight?" As is to be expected, scope can detect the absence of green lettering from several thousand light years away. And see through cardboard. "You're exaggerating", I replied. "It's not that much heavier."

"You and your so-called upgrades" scope continued. "Meanwhile, I still haven't got a proper mount. And plastering this mount with 'Powered by TeleVue' stickers isn't going to help." Annoyed as I felt with scope's ability to anticipate such follies before they were enacted, I was also glad for the change of subject to divert attention from my latest acquisition. "I want a proper wooden tripod just as much as you do, but I'm starting to worry about doing without slow-motion control. I can't decide which head would be best." "Mr. Nagler designed the Gibraltar mount; it's perfect for me" scope insisted. "Yes, yes, but too often have I read comments by people who love the Gibraltar in general but do not recommend it for observation at high power. I promise, we'll get something that is fitting for both of us, and looks the business. I just need some time to figure it out." And save up some cash, I didn't add.

"Hm. 'Baader/Zeiss'. Sounds German."

"So does 'Nagler'."

"Why do we need a new diagonal, anyway? Has the meaning of the words 'TeleVue Everbrite Dielectric' gone lost on you?"

"This new diagonal uses a prism, and supposedly a very good one, instead of a mirror. I've read it can give us a substantial performance increase at higher magnification. It's part of the program for pushing you as far as you can go. You always love that."

A silence passed, of the kind which only lasts a moment but seems like minutes between friends. "Look, we'll try it out, and if it makes no difference we'll pass it on. But I'm convinced there must be something to this, so let's just see." Scope acquiesced, still wondering whether this owner was more Hubble than he was worth.

In the mean time, it was time to unbox, unwrap, and savour the scent given off by the spontaneous combustion of previously disposable income.

newarrival.jpg

The leading characters, each with their own side-kick, tolerated only for their superb handling of those pesky little 1.25" eyepieces that won't accept redundancy.

contestants.jpg

Weighing in, the Baader does, at first, seem to be at a disadvantage.

baaderweighsin.jpg

everbriteweighsin.jpg

But include the adaptors, and the scales are much more evenly balanced.

baaderweighsinwithadapter.jpg

everbriteweighsinwithadapter.jpg

"Now for some modelling. First with our old diagonal." Current diagonal, scope managed to not retort.

tv85before.jpg

Followed by the new...

baaderontv85.jpg

tv85after.jpg

...with the Baader ClickLock mechanism working very well indeed on the Desert Island Eyepiece For The Masses.

baaderwith13mmethos.jpg

fullnewsetupwith13mmethos.jpg

"Don't you look smart" I encouraged. "The lettering isn't green..." came the feeble protest. "No, but the hand grip matches that of our eyepieces, and even that on the Starbeam." Clever ploy by Baader, I thought.

Hopefully, in a couple of hours, we will shed some starlight on the matter...

To be continued

So, after a pretty good session for Moon and Jupiter, but little else (as if that wouldn't be enough), we have a preliminary result.

Yes, the Baader/Zeiss Prism Diagonal gives better views of Moon and Jupiter. The views of Luna are somehow sharper, more defined; those of Jupiter more detailed. Be aware, that with this setup we're not talking about huge differences, but they are noticeable to me, and as I'm currently dedicated to squeezing every last bit of performance out of this scope and these eyepieces, it's worth it.

I compared the views using the Nagler 3-6 Zoom, the 8mm Ethos and the 13mm Ethos. I wouldn't say that I could constructively use more magnification with the Baader/Zeiss, but the views up to the maximum magnification I had previously found enjoyable (about 125x) were better.

Would I get more improvement at high magnification by using a different/better eyepiece? I do have my mind set on a 6mm Ethos, and if that offers enough improvement, a 4.7mm Ethos, so I'm sure I'll find out...

A final note on compatibility: having fitted the 8mm Ethos into the Baader/Zeiss in 2" mode, I discovered that I "ran out of focuser" before I could get the view focused (the focuser could extend no further). This was easily rectified by using the adapter to switch to 1.25" mode, as expected with no ill effects. I also discovered that I could use 2" mode by not letting the eyepiece slide as far down into the diagonal as possible, but to hold it up and leave a small gap while engaging the ClickLock mechanism. This mechanism works very well indeed. The photo below is an attempt to show what kind of gap I'm talking about: quite insubstantial.

mindthegap.jpg

Very interesting report :icon_biggrin:

I'm a happy Everbright user but it looks as if the Baader / Zeiss prism is a superb alternative to bear in mind for the future.

How do their costs compare ?

1 hour ago, John said:

Very interesting report :icon_biggrin:

I'm a happy Everbright user but it looks as if the Baader / Zeiss prism is a superb alternative to bear in mind for the future.

How do their costs compare ?

Ah, well, cost. I bought this new. :rolleyes2: The supplier I selected only accepts some odd form of currency known as "euro" so please recalculate accordingly.

The Baader/Zeiss Prism diagonal was 450 euro. Add to that the matching Baader 2" - 1.25" adaptor for 72 euro. Both elements do feature the ClickLock mechanism. So perhaps not the most tempting deal in economic terms - indeed one can easily acquire two very good diagonals for the price of this set.

The TeleVue Everbrite Dielectric is currently on offer by the same supplier for 331 euro. This does not include a 2" - 1.25" adaptor, and I'm currently at a loss as to where one of those by TeleVue would be available and then, at what price. However, such an adaptor might be considered a more generic item, with variable mileage with regard to build quality, clamping mechanism, etc.

Baader does offer a less expensive 2" Zeiss prism diagonal with T2 connections on both sides; the same supplier offers this one for 215 euro. Indeed there are those who prefer this model for its putting less glass in the path, so to speak. This of course does not include the ClickLock mechanism, and also requires additional adapters for use as a "regular" diagonal - 29 euro for the focuser side, and... hmmm, can't seem to find an adaptor for the eyepiece side, at least not one from T2 to 2". The Baader ClickLock 2" - 1.25" adaptor mentioned above also features T2 threading, but obviously will not hold a 2" eyepiece. So not quite sure how this option would work out in practice for the 2" eyepiece user.

So it's quite the premium item with a price to match, and in my case, a bit like the eyepieces in that it's a modular investment "behind the tube" in the results I will get with this and any future scope - provided such scope indeed requires the use of a diagonal...:happy8:

And my Everbrite won't be going anywhere soon, either...it's just too good - as I can now state with confidence on my own authority.

Archived