NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

astromaster primary cell

The primary  mirror cell on my Astromaster appears to be fixed to a metal plate (circular)  through which the  three cell adjusters and the 3 locking screws are accessible.  Could anyone please tell me how this plate can be removed.  I  have been  wary about fiddling around too much but did  loosen the three locking screws  and then. noted that for some reason the adjustors are locked tight and  will nor budge. 

The scope has worked well enough for my level of observing but I have always suspected that the primary mirror was slightly out of kilter and I therefore decided to remove it  "spot" the centre and re  collimate the scope from scratch.

Thanks, 

Pete

I always thought that they was a fixed mirror ,I learn som thing new every day  is the scope showing errors dew to this ?

Finally got enough nerve to try it. There were 3 black flat head Philips screws on the end of the tube next to the adjustments screws and locking screws. I marked the orientation of the back plate in relation to the tube and when the screws were remove the entire back slide out. The mirror was attached to a holding cell which I did not disturb. After locating the center and placing my center dot (circular paper reinforce ring) I reinstalled the mirror. It went a lot easier than I thought.

Found that on the net 

pat

Hi Pat ,  yes, the Net extract you posted describes what I would have expected ......was this an Astromaster?.  it does suggest  that all screws were removed which I did not do but I can give it a go with care . 

You asked if the scope was  showing errors...  there is a  very slight distortion on one side of the  image about  halfway between centre and the periphery ( noticeable in moon viewing)  but it has never really been a problem.....just aware of it is all.

Thanks for replying.

Pete

Archived