Altair 80ED or Explore Sci 80ED

So I popped into my local shop today, pretty well set on an Altair Astro Lightwave 80ED. That was until i walked in and they had an Explore Scientific ED80 APO Carbon ex display.... Ohh I got tempted by the carbon (Typical I know...). I then did a little digging and discovered it is a true triplet..... Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either scope ?

I am looking for something to use primarily for advancing my imaging with a Canon EOS1000D. It will be going on a motorised but unguided Bresser Mon2 mount.

I have a budget of up to £650ish...

If you are considering the Lightwave 80ED, why not the Skywatcher Equinox 80? I have read some not so great reviews about the Lightwave, but nobody seems to complain about the Equinox. I have one myself actually, haven't yet used it much, but the reason I did not consider the altair astro doublets were the average reviews.

I have an Equinox too and am happy with it, but I have noticed that Explore Scientific apos are remarkably good value at the moment. These are genuine triplets for a shade over £500 at Telescope House, unbelievable value compared with a few years ago. Carbon fibres a little bit pricier. I must say I'd look very hard at the ES or Equinox ahead of the Lightwave.

Archived