M1 Crab

cardconvict

Just need a bit of advice as this should be the first DSO in 3 years and have never imaged M1.

What I need to know is using a celestron C9.25 do I use my Focal reducer at F6 3 or stick with the focal length of 2350 F10.

Which one would produce the best results of a larger image with out using the Focal reducer or go with the faster route of a f6.3 any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry mods can this be moved to imaging discussion  please 

Think it will depend a little on what targets you have in mind. Some of the really distant galaxies and nebs may benefit from the extra focal length but of course being further away are generally dimmer requiring longer subs. So quicker F ratio are a definite bonus plus at the extra focal length your alignment and tracking needs to be spot on although even with the reducer their going to need to be good with a 9.25. With most of the closer and popular DSO's M31, M45, Rosette etc etc your struggle to get any of them in your FOV with the reducer let alone without. So in that definitely go with the faster F ratio, but keep in mind it may introduce extra distortions. 

Archived