NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light polution filter - any use?

rubecula

I've recently aquired a Canon 550D and had it modified.  Last year we were blessed (?) with the new white street lights and we have two near to the house but not in a direct line of sight of the obsy. 

I was wondering if a light polution filter would bring any benefit in this situation.  If so, does any particular make perform better than others?

Another thought I had would be to use narrow band filters which I assume would counter the light polution, but does it make sense to use them with a DSLR?

No LPR filter will help with white LED lighting - but it may not be your local lights which give most of the sky glow. They have replaced all our estate street lights with LEDs, but the sky still glows a nice orange from the rest of the town!

NigelM

I wouldn't expect any improvement with the CLS or neodymium ones. On nebulas, a UHC might and a narrowband will help. As your camera is astro-modified an Ha filter should help on the big emission nebulas. Your DSLR is probably more sensitive to OIII as the normal bayer pattern has half the pixels for green, and only a quarter for red. I've got Ha and OIII filters which I use with a CCD camera and I find Ha much more useful for photography. I tend to go for widefield nebulas where Ha is King, IMHO. If your more into things like planetary nebulas OIII becomes more useful. I've been using Astronomik ones, but I get the impression all the well know brands are good.

If you think you might one day buy a filter wheel, try to get all your filters from a manufacturer who makes them parfocal with each other. Otherwise you have to re-focus every time you change filter.

Archived