Bresser 40mm EP 1.25" With AFOV Of 52 Degrees?

geministar

Since getting a 'scope with f = 1500mm, I've not been able to do better than TFOV = 1.11 degrees, with a 32mm EP.

I've searched most of the dealers and discovered that 40mm EPs are generally about 43 degrees, although others claim 52 for the same lens.

Now I've come across this Bresser.

The blurb says 52 degrees.

The heading says:

Bresser SPL 40mm Eyepiece 44 Super Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"

.........and the "44" in there makes me wonder if this is the same story of inaccurate info.

Anyone have any knowledge of this lens?

I'd like 52 so I can get my TFOV up to 1.39 degrees.

Is there such a lens out there?  (Or am I - as a relative beginner - chasing something that's hardly worth the effort anyway?)

The field stop required to deliver a 52 degree apparent field with a 40mm eyepiece simply can't fit into a 1.25" barrel. 43/44 degrees is the max for that focal length in the 1.25" fitting.

The Celestron Ultima 35mm (now out of production) had a 49 degree AFoV. Others that deliver the max for the 1.25" barrel include a number of 32mm plossls at 52 degrees, 24mm wide angles such as the Maxvision 24mm 68 degrees and the old Meade 5000 series UWA 18mm with 82 degrees. Any of these will show as much sky as a 1.25" eyepiece can in any scope, around 1.10 true degrees with your 127mm mak-cassegrain I think.

The field stop required to deliver a 52 degree apparent field with a 40mm eyepiece simply can't fit into a 1.25" barrel. 43/44 degrees is the max for that focal length in the 1.25" fitting.

The Celestron Ultima 35mm (now out of production) had a 49 degree AFoV. Others that deliver the max for the 1.25" barrel include a number of 32mm plossls at 52 degrees, 24mm wide angles such as the Maxvision 24mm 68 degrees and the old Meade 5000 series UWA 18mm with 82 degrees. Any of these will show as much sky as a 1.25" eyepiece can in any scope, around 1.10 true degrees with your 127mm mak-cassegrain I think.

Thanks, John.  So I was right to suspect that the info presented was wrong.  Must be learning something!  

I wonder how many people have bought lenses as a result of misleading figures.  Quite a few, I'd guess.

Thanks, John.  So I was right to suspect that the info presented was wrong.  Must be learning something!  

I wonder how many people have bought lenses as a result of misleading figures.  Quite a few, I'd guess.

I come across quite a few published specifications that are incorrect or mistyped. At least with the current distance buying regulations you can get a full refund if something is mis-described in this way.

Archived