Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any info on the AMSCOPE CMOS cameras?

Aussie Dave

Are there any members using any of the AMSCOPE microscope cameras? Any reviews out there for AP work?

I've been looking at various CMOS cams for lunar and planetary and not sure which to go with. A few weeks back I cam across the Amscope website that offer some interesting CMOS cams.

This is their website with what they have on offer and camera specs

http://www.amscope.com/accessories.html?cat=12

I'm looking at this one, 14mp

http://www.amscope.com/accessories/14mp-usb2-0-microscope-usb-digital-camera-advanced-software-and-micrometer.html

Hi Riklaunim. I'd prefer colour as I'm just getting in to planetary and I don't want to have to buy filters and filter wheels. Lunar I'm not too worried about and my 2 small cams are fine for that. Still working on Lunar as well.

The ZWO's are high on my list, a couple of other members have mentioned the ZWO's to me.  I've also got my eye on ATIK, SBIG and The Image Source. I'm sure I have a couple of others bookmarked too.

Bottom line is I'm looking for cheaper if there is such a thing in astro cams for AP work. I'm not sure if I'm willing to take that bigger step up in imaging. Just looking for a cheaper alternative that would work just as well.

Atik or SBIG make DS cameras, and those aren't optimal for planetary imaging (16-bit cameras aren't efficient at planetary imaging. TIS cameras are also old (sold to Celestron now as Skyris) and with modern cameras out on the market are not worth it.

Pick the latest generations with good planetary imaging support. Among color you have ASI224, ASI178 and soon QHY290.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a used Amscope MU1000 for cheap... $60.

The problem with all the Amscope cameras is that their frame rates are SLOW!  You can speed it up by choosing either 2x2 or 4x4 binning or skipping every 2nd or every 4th pixel.  There is no Region of Interest (ROI) selection that would allow full resolution over a smaller area.  This is a hardware issue and software won't solve the problem.  The MU1000 is usb2 with 10 megapixel and 1.667 micron square pixels.  It's fastest speed for me on full resolution (and smallest pixels) was 1 frame per second - and that was on the Moon.  Also, the MU1000 longest exposure time is 2 seconds - and hot pixel noise is starting to show at that exposure.  Thus, this camera is no good for DSOs requiring medium to long exposure.

The MU1400 USB3 features even smaller 1.4 micron square pixels and being USB3 is about 3 or 4 times faster in frame rates.  BIG Deal!  That still restricts you to 4 to 6 frames per second at full resolution - about 1/10 to 1/100 the frame rates of current planetary cameras in the $200 to $400 range.  With the MU1400 you will still be stuck with no ROI and speed up only by binning or skipping pixels... that drops your resolution because your pixel size becomes 4x or 16 times as large.

I'd definitely look elsewhere for a planetary/DSO camera - try looking at the $US400 ZWO ASI178.

Rick

• 3 months later...

Stay away from Amscopes they abandon  their  products after 10 years or so , no upgraded drivers for an entire line. Most decent companies  are proud their products are  still in use after a decade or more and are glad to support them. Here's hoping their shortsightedness leads  to  a short life for their shiftless company.

Archived