NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jumpin in at the deep end...

Hi,

I'm new to astronomy after taking an interest a few years ago I've decided to bite the bullet and get myself some gear. After some research on the forums here I've purchased a Sky Watcher Equinox 80 with a HEQ 5 to mount it on. In the coming weeks I hope to familiarise myself with my new toys with the general goal being having a go at imaging ( DSO ). Obviously I know the scope and mount are just the beginning as far as imaging is concerned so I was after a bit of advice as to what kit I should be looking at to get me started. I currently have the Equinox, just the scope, no eyepieces or adapters of any kind and the mount, also own an Eos 100d and a laptop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

Just one thing to say: Nice sensible start.

Carry like this and you will go far.

Other bits, not sure what the Equinox includes, will assume OTA only.

May want an extension tube, 2" seems normal.

Will want a T-Ring for the DSLR - FLO has these.

Has the EQ5 got goto ?

If so ask about that when it arrives. Thinking data you will need.

Will want a remote timer or intervalometer for multiple exposures, £25 Amazon.

When mount and scope are set up then, Scope+Extn Tube+T-Ring+DSLR+Remote timer and a target (M42 is the obvious) then get ten 30 second exposures. Just get some practise in, make improvements later.

Later you will want a flatener, to improve the images.

Later still maybe a reducer.

Later again a guide system. £££ :eek: :eek:

Much later a nice cooled ccd. Not enough £ signs for that. :grin: :grin: :grin:

For visual you will want a diagonal and eventually 3 or 4 eyepieces.

Suggest the BST ones, they are good for the cost, cost more then say the GSO plossl's however. Your decision.

Thx for the reply Ronin, yes HEQ5 has SynScan if that's what you meant? Equinox is OTA so came with nothing, got a remote timer so that's one more thing off the list ( shame it's the cheapest ey haha) I've just noticed my mount only comes with cigarette lighter style power cable is that normal? And if so are mains adapters available from anywhere?

Thx again,

Danny

Archived