Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attaching Medium Format Digital Camera to Telescope (Celestron C10)a

Sebastianos

I am the proud owner of a Celestron C10 goto telescope. I have done some basic astro-imaging with a modified webcam and built my own adapter for use with my iPhone for under $20, which works great for photos and video.  Recently I purchased a 51 megapixel, cmos sensor, medium format camera (Pentax 645z) for over $7,000.  I was extremely excited to see what kind of amazing images these two would create together. Sadly,  I have hit a huge roadblock which has seriously put a damper on my excitement. While searching for a T-ring and adapter that would allow for me to pair this amazing piece of technology to my 10 inch telescope, I discovered that there is no such thing available for this particular camera. 

I am no expert by any means in the field of astro-imaging or the science behind the workings of my new camera so please bear with me...Below are some links regarding some of the technical aspects involved, that I have a loose grasp on. It would seem that I can overcome some of these issues, but not sure at what cost to image quality (amount of light hitting sensor and or vignetting...etc)

First some useful information about the camera: 

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-645z/pentax-645zA.HTM

Please take note of the sensor size and the weight. It is a large and heavy camera which may require some kind of support or counter balance on the telescope. (not my biggest concern at this point)

Second, the only discussion I have found regarding the pairing of this camera to a telescope:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3185583

From what I gather, my telescope (celestron C10) probably doesn't have a big enough focusing tube to accommodate the sensor, and respective T adapter. I can't say exactly what size my focusing tube is, but I am also wondering, since it looks like I could easily remove the entire focusing unit off the telescope to give a larger size hole, if this would accommodate the sensor, and adapter. Would I lose the ability to focus using the telescope? Could I just rely on the camera for focusing?

Like I said, I have very limited knowledge regarding these things, but I am very driven to join this amazing camera to this large (to me) telescope and be blown away by image quality (51 megapixel low noise CMOS sensor).

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Archived