Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am kind of an Idiot - Need help - Photo via Meade LX90

thhynes

Short story

Years ago I purchased an adapter for a Nikon N75 film camera to use with my Meade LX90, My Dad gave me his old 
Nikon D70 digital camera and I spent years looking for an adapter so I could Mount that camera to my Lx90....yeah I know 
the adapters are the same...Just learned this some 7 years later....DUH

Okay so I want to take a picture of the moon this evening using the Camera and Scope

I am not good web and I just can't seem to find specific instructions...maybe they were but way to Technical for me

I would like to know 

What ISO setting to use I am thinking 800 or more
How much Time for the exposure

And how do I focus the this all  so I don't get a blurred image?  Do I just use Autofocus mode on the Camera?

HELP  Please?  I have been waiting to do this for seven years maybe nine.

Thanks

Tom

I chose to upload an image that I did take of Venus transiting the sun...for this picture I used a nikon digital camera right up next to the eye peice
the photo was used on the old Art Bell Web page and two local news stations in my area for the evening news....

post-48493-0-58175700-1450555629.jpg

Camera has to be set to fully manual, the camera lens comes off and the scope takes it's place.

That means no autofocus etc.

So adaptor on camera, adaptor on scope, using the rear screen adjust the focus to get the focus correct - may take some adjustment.

Settings oddly fairly simple as the moon is bright.

Set the ISO to about 200, and the exposure to say 1/100 sec.

Press the Go button and see what comes out.

If too dim set the exposure to say 1/50 sec, have another go.

If you increase the ISO you lose contrast, so actually better to keep that down, so if too bright then I suggest you drop the ISO not reduce the exposure.

But it is all a try and see situation.

The good aspect of a DSLR is that there is a nice simple button marked Delete, and you have sort of instant answers.

Best to use a cable release for the camera, otherwise you get shake, could try setting the delay to 2 seconds.

I have a remote control for the camera...so shake won't be an issue...well its clouding up now so I might not get my chance tonight...

but thanks for the tips I appreciate it!

I used a D50 when I started and you could always connect your d70 to a laptop and control it from there.

The main advantage is being able to open up an image and zoom in to check the focus.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/software/control_pro2/

The moons a good place to start, i used the d50 with a remote to capture a lunar eclipse in 2007, it was good fun!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Archived