Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Atlas or Skywatcher EQ6??

I currently have an AVX mount for my edgehd 8 which is pier mounted in a roll off roof observatory. I am mainly into astrophotography with only occasional visual use. Nothing but problems out of my AVX. Have tried until I can't try anymore with it. So trying to decide on a new mount within my budget. Of course a paramount would be nice but way out of my budget.

Looking at an Orion Atlas or Skywatcher EQ6 Any thoughts on which would be best or concerns with either? I need to make a decision quick as the skywatcher is on sale until the 18th if I go that route. 

Thanks in advance for any advice

Randy

Owing to it regularily occuring on CN Orion will support you for spares etc but if you sell the mount on and get a better one for yourself (Paramount) in the future the buyer of yours gets no support, spares or anything from Orion.

Say this as it is a possible aspect for you to consider. Also this happened to someone a few days back on CN. For information I have the idea there is one retailer that will order from Orion for non-original users and ship but they are Canadian based. Costs more but they get the item.

Not sure how good an EQ6 is, there are a number of reports of Skywatcher's having software hiccups but in honesty this seems to be the smaller mounts, so I half guess that the ones like the EQ6 are a bit better regarding the internals.

I am considering a bigger goto then the ones I have and the reality is I cannot see any that appear reliable. I get the idea that often some new almost useless feature is added rather then simply improving the reliability and operation.

Interesting your problems with the AVX, I read on CN someone who was asked to suggest a good AP mount and said they would not suggest the AVX as they would like to keep the person as a friend.

Archived