NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi CCA250-FLI Focuser

I am thinking of purchasing the above Scope, and I noticed that it has a electrical build-in focus. It has a Active Focuser System and which has a stepping motor for focus adjustment the rear mirror. My question is, and might sound silly,  according to this there is no need to buy a motor focuser like the FLI Atlas for example. You will only need a software like Focusmax to control the build-in focuser.

Thanks

Charles 

Charles, I believe the motor focuser adjusts the 2ndary mirror rather than the rear/primary mirror much like the 250CRS; as such there should be no focus shift which is a good thing for a scope f this size & this fast (esp with the reducer option).

As you've noted the active focuser (again like the 250CRS) is ASCOM compatible so FocusMax & MaximDL should work with it too. The focus can be adjusted manually too with the control buttons at the back of the OTA, so you're not limited to computer controlled focus only.

Only the camera rotator is manual & maybe some kind of motorised customisation can be done there.

Archived