NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stealing photons and fighting the moon

Sam

Whilst imaging NGC4565 the 16" Lightbridge was brought out for some serious photon collecting - only the moon was supplying a large excess of those!! :cat:

The first stop was to see if I could observe the supernova that Rob had imaged last week in NGC4490 - unfortunately not a thing! I shouldn't have been looking with the moon washing everything out.

The last time I looked at M109, M108 and the owl nedula was with the 8" so I thought it'd be good to compare with the 16". M109 stood out quite well as did M108. The owl nebula was a slightly brighter fingerprint than through the 8". While in the area I also had a look at NGC3953 - quite bright and the core stood out.

NGC3718 was barely visible - will have to revisit when the moon has gone. NGC4096 was much the same though slightly easier to see.

The ring nebula was great through the big dob - so much more detail visible and very easy to find. While in the area I also added another Messier to the viewed list with M56, a nice little glob not far from M57. I couldn't resolve too many stars though so will have to revisit this one as well. :shocked:

Sam

Archived