My DIY Barn door wedge for Meade ETX 60AT

njasmin

Nothing Special here, just wanted to share. Big thanks to the Weasner website for all of the ideas. Made this out of things lying around the house in a relatively short amount of time. 

Parts I had already:

Left over pole from a 14' satellite I inherited when i purchased my house(EXTREMELY hard to come by  :grin: )

Left over section of 4' landscaping timber

Scrap wood

1/4" washers and wing nuts with bolts

Parts I had to buy:

2 turnbuckes $5 each

2 - 1/4" - 20 threaded eye bolts $1 for both

2 - Narrow utility hinges - $3 for both

Process was simple in theory but the hardest part was hammering the landscaping timber into the existing pole with a sledge hammer. Once that was done i cut the damaged top off(from the hammer) and leveled a small sheet of wood as a permanent base to the timber. Assembled the wedge than made the azimuth adjustment out of 2 bolts and a drill lol. I also drilled 2 small holes in either corner for rough alignment. Just built it today so i wont know how it is until I try it, I should be fine with the adjustable angle and the base being level. Telescope fits like a charm on it with the eye bolts and it suits my need as the actual stand is extremely sturdy! A plus is that the wedge portion can be removed and set on a table in the event of travelling, leaving a small beer holding table behind - not bad for under $15. I do plan to paint at least the column and the leveled table as these will permanently be exposed to the Florida elements. Thanks for wasting your time - I mean...reading  :eek:  

post-47249-0-58135100-1446839102_thumb.j

Archived