NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Communications breakdown

Highburymark

Why is it that the astronomy industry is so poor at communicating with customers?

First is the lack of decent instruction manuals when you buy a telescope - or the lack,of any manuals, even online. Of the three scopes I've bought over the past year only Celestron has done a reasonable job of providing the buyer with a guide to the new equipment. Never mind the practical advantages of an instruction book, it is also a great opportunity to promote the brand and impress upon the customer the professionalism of the company. And it's hardly expensive. Go figure.

The industry's advertising is also very poor. For example I don't think I've ever seen an ad from one of the biggest retailers ( clue - initials are W and C) in Sky at Night or Astronomy Now magazines without a few howlers. Spelling mistakes, repetitions, promoting events that took place months before.

But the scope makers aren't much better. On page 20 of November's Sky at Night, there's a Meade ad featuring a main logo for the "Lightswicth Series". Hardly fosters confidence in the technology if no-one checks the proofs.

Rant over.

Archived