Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HyperCam - Image 17 different wavelengths at once!

nmoushon

http://www.washington.edu/news/2015/10/15/affordable-camera-reveals-hidden-details-invisible-to-the-naked-eye/

I know this wasnt designed for AP but I can immediately think of it working very well for our hobby. Especially for planetary/lunar/solar imaging since that doesnt require long exposures and the article doesnt mention anything on long exposures. So even if it doesnt work "out of the box" for deep sky imaging I'm sure one could be designed for it very easily. Though the article did say it doesnt work well in bright light  :grin:! Hopefully that doesnt limit solar imaging though I don't think it would as you would be imaging through a solar filter anyways. 

It takes 17 different wavelengths worth of images at once which is pretty darn sweet. So you could quickly compare different wavelengths all at once. Though I do hope you could then also select specific wavelengths to image at as that would be the only way image with long exposures. Also data storage would be a problem....if you thought you had storage problems now with video imaging just times that by 17 lol. Defiantly need several terrabytes of storage for this cam.

Sorry everyone I missed a key part of the article. The camera ILLUMINATES the object....so would be useless for us. Cool camera just not for AP.  If a mod can delete this thread that would be great thanks. No use in keeping it around.

Hyperspectral imaging is a new thing on the market and there are various ways to achieve it. This one, based on illumination won't work for astronomy. There are hyperspectral sensors where instead of Bayer pattern there is a long set of bandpass filters on pixels, and there are other concepts like this: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2015/10/xerox-parc-develops-hyperspectral-imager.html

Archived