SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars vs Fast Refractor for Observing and CCD Imaging

Achros are a waste of time as far as imaging is concerned, forget about them. There are good ones but these have very long FL with F11~F15 and are mostly for lunar or planetary observing. As for the imaging scope please forget the aperture business, that is only relevant for observing. In theory a larger aperture will offer higher resolution but here in the UK with our weather, light pollution and less than ideal seeing at the best of times no real benefit will be had from  a high res system such as a TAK Epsilon but for shorter integration times. A good ED need not cost the earth SW 80 ED is a very well corrected ED doublet and can give some expensive triplets a run for their money. It is relatively slow but not by much and a reducer will give you a wider FOV. The focuser is nothing to write home about but with a bit of care and adjustment and so long as a huge CCD and FW is not hung from its back side it will function. You will also have change left from £500.00  to do other things with.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks for the further comments - all useful stuff. I would be tempted by the SW ED80, but at F7 it's 600mm long so not portable enough. Shame. I'll keep scouring the classifieds I think.

Thanks again to all.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived