Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie CG5-GT set-up

I recently bought a secondhand Celestron CG5-GT mount off eBay.  This is my first foray into anything sturdy (previous was a stock mount that came with my Skywatcher 130p Supatrak).  I also bought an 8" Celestron SCT to go with it.

I had a couple of queries on the CG5 performance that I was hoping someone might clarify for me:

1) the declination clutch actually touches (just) the plastic casing of the declination drive as it rotates.  I dont know the correct terminology for the rotation, but it's as the declination motor housing passes over the top of the clutch.  Nothing looks damaged, so I presume this is same for all CG5-GT's?

2) the declination axis has maybe 1/2mm play in it when the clutch is engaged.  I assume this isn't so normal and a result of wear and tear?

3) having tried a 2-star alignment and track of the moon last night, I also noticed there was very noticeable delay / backlash in one of the axis and only in one direction (cant recall which axis or direction now), but during the main eyepiece alignment after slewing in one direction and sailing right past the alignment star, I reversed the rotation of that particular axis and the motor just 'whirred' for 4-5 seconds before anything moved in the eyepiece.  This didn't happen in the opposite rotation.

Although I am not of a mind to start taking my new purchase apart just yet, if its a simple procedure - does anyone know how I can service it, or these are 'features' or know issues of a second-hand CG5-GT?

Apologies for the newbie questions.

Archived