Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific 80mm triplet + FF combo

rl

Hi Guys..

I've just bought an ES 80mm carbon fibre triplet with the 3" reducer / field flattener, as offered as a matched pair by several UK retailers. Visually the scope is great but I'm having issues doing astrophotography with the matching field flattener. it comes with two custom spacers, for Canon and Nikon cameras, and requires a special low profile T2 - Canon adapter (purchased).

I'm using a bog standard unmodded 1100D.

Attached are two 2min subs, both with the ff in place,one for each spacer. The image without the FF in place at all (not yet uploaded) is actually considerably tidier than either, almost acceptable on its own. Both shots were guided, no processing, nothing else in the light path, just the raw data. The Canon image is the less bad of the two; the Nikon spacer reduces the spacing between the ff and the camera by a couple of millimetres over the Canon which implies I need a bigger ff-camera spacing. This is easily achieved by fitting a standard thickness T2-Canon adapter.....only then I can't rack in far enough to get a focus at all!

Using an anonymous generic times 1 field flattener produces good results.

There is only one way to insert the ff into the optical path.

As far as I can see I'm doing everything exactly by the book. Before I send the flattener back has anyone got any bright ideas? The supplier has offered to swap it without question but I've a feeling I'm missing something obvious here. There must be a few of these out there now..anyone else had similar issues and found a solution?

Thanks for reading, RL

post-3193-0-54874300-1445881705_thumb.jp

post-3193-0-73581600-1445881731_thumb.jp

Entilza...I suspect you have the truth and I have suggested as such to the dealer that sold it to me. There is a Europe-wide deal being done by ES which sells the 3" FF ( not the 2") with the carbon fibre triplets (all sizes from 80mm to 150mm). I've sent the FF back to the UK dealers and they are going to run some tests on the exact type of scope.

Of course, with the 2" flattener being so much cheaper, the deal is not nearly so attractive....also there is no choice of focal length since the 2" is a flattener only. If this proves to be the correct explanation then someone at ES has really messed up...

Thanks for the response, RL.

Dealer has independently confirmed that the 3" FF does not match the 80mm carbon fibre triplet.....caveat emptor if you're thinking of taking up this offer!

RL

Archived