NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Happier with Nextstar evolution or dso setup?

Hi, I am new to star gazing and looking to step up from my binoculars. I am a buy once, cry once kind of person so I don't want to go cheap. Budget being around $2k for a set up. I really like the idea of the ready to go nexstar evolution. Sounds user friendly to a beginner with a nice scope. I would also like to try photography and if I know myself planetary only won't be good enough for long. So should I just get the evolution and enjoy it? Is it good for planetary photography? Is the 9.25 $500 better than the 8? Or can I get a set up that will allow for better ds photography and still have easy set up and use? I guess scope quality and ease of use is first priority, but can I get something with both so I don't need to buy more later?

Next cameras, I shoot outdoor photography, but still use the old 8.5 mp canon rebel, so I am in need of a major upgrade. Is there a good option for regular outdoor use and astrophotography or do I need something specialized for ds imaging? Budget $1500

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

GoTo telescopes, like the Nexstar-series, are excellent scopes judging by people's reviews right in this forum. As for 8" or 9.25" - that's up to your budget. I don't think anyone here can honestly say if the added 1.25" is worth $500. Or $5,000. I can tell you that an 8" telescope is often considered to be the aperture that will show you enough new objects to last you the rest of your life - and more lives as well.

As for photography and a camera that will excell in daytime shoots, and nighttime work, you could fire off an email to a few shops that specialize in both photography and astronomy - and do both very well from most accounts. Including my own:

http://telescopes.net/store/index.php

That's Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes. And this is Oceanside Photo & Telescope:

http://www.optcorp.com/

A good shop, in my book, is one that provides excellent customer-support, should anything go wrong. Both of these do from my experience. They're both in California,and I'm in Vermont. And they both have been very helpful on the rare occasions I've had a bug needing fixing.

Oh yes - Greetings and welcome to SGL!

Enjoy,

Dave

Thanks. After taking in what you said and reading much more I think I can refine what I am looking for.

I think I will be best off getting a good equatorial mount with something auto scanning like synscan. Maybe heq5 would fit me well. Also a Schmidt-cassegrain scope 8" objective. So what are some good options to keep the entire setup under $2500?

Looks like you win me again.....

An SCT with 8" primary on an equatorial-mount - this will send you onto the loving hands of Celestron or Meade. Possibly Orion. You will find the prices remain the same from one shop to another. But do watch for any sales. In fact, you could ask a question about any pending sales coming up, and a good shop will give you a straight, honest answer. In that I gave you Woodland Hills and OPT, you could toss a coin and pick one or the other. They're both top-notch - the US equivalent of the illustrious FLO the people across the pond have the honor of dealing with. And both carry Celestron, Meade, Orion, and many, many brands of scopes and peripherals.

Hopefully someone else will come along with some other ideas for you, before you pull the proverbial trigger.

Happy hunting,

Dave

Archived