Skywatcher on equatorial mount with Meade autostar

hello, wonder if anyone can please help?

I am trying to set up this equipment. I've got telescope on its tripod with the counterweights fitted but don't have an instruction manual for the next steps. I assume I need to align it and Autostar somehow using the polar scope?

If anyone knows of a link or the info to do this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

What is the mount?

Only ask as the post reads as if it is a Skywatcher mount and therefore software and you are using a Meade Autostar handset (somehow).

If it is a Skywatcher scope on a Meade mount and with a Meade Autostar that is OK, but if the mount is Skywatcher and the handset Meade they are not compatible. I just need a bit of clarification.

Thanks for the link Cornelius that's a good start.

Ronin, thanks for your reply - the mount seems to be a Skywatcher EQ5 so it's a bit disconcerting that you say they are incompatible!

The history behind this set up is I bought it (2nd hand) for my son when he was probably too young, the man I bought it from (apparently) was using it satisfactorily as a 'goto'. Now my son is showing resumed interest and we're trying to get it working again.

Basically I've got a big box of bits, and the 1st stage is trying to find out what's what.

I think I'll put everything together as best as I can and then maybe ask the helpful folks here to identify anything I can't identify.

Going to need a picture of the assorted bits, especially mount (one with logo's to identify it), and another of the handset.

From what I am aware the Meade Autostar will not operate with a Skywatcher EQ5 with I assume Synscan - no doubt someone will correct me but I would be surprised.

If it is a Synscan then I suspect you will need to get hold of a Synscan handset - try astroboot, but wait until we/you have more information.

As you say "looks like an EQ5" I wonder if it is a Meade mount of similar design/size.

Archived