Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New APLab version: find optimal ISO and exposure time

Altais

Good day everyone.  :)

I just uploaded a new version of Astrophotography Lab. It has a couple of new features, like plotting multiple graphs together and better conversion between signal quantities, but the most significant one is a new function for estimating the optimal ISO (for DSLRs) and exposure time from image data.

It can be downloaded as a standalone version, or you can update from a previously installed version.

Check out the home page for more information and a download link. The user guide has also been updated with information on how to use the new features.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hope you enjoy,
Lars

Hi Lars,

Bias and flats both loaded OK this time but appears to hang when applying screen stretch to the saturated file... Convert to Tiff seems to complete ok but doesn't come back  (no error message) just display (filename) applying screen stretch...

Probably an  ID 10 T  error on my part.... :iamwithstupid:

Peter...

Hi Lars,

Bias and flats both loaded OK this time but appears to hang when applying screen stretch to the saturated file... Convert to Tiff seems to complete ok but doesn't come back  (no error message) just display (filename) applying screen stretch...

Probably an  ID 10 T  error on my part.... :iamwithstupid:

Peter...

Hey Peter. Could you send me the saturated file? If it's too big for ordinary email, WeTransfer looks like a simple way to do it. Hopefully I can sort it out as quickly as possible. In the meantime, does it work to omit the saturated frame and load a light frame instead?

Ok 2 bias , 2 flats and 1 light frame (that contained "saturated pixels") no darks  .. produced this error ...

**** 2015-09-13 17:20:07.374000 ****
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 9385, in __call__
  File "<string>", line 8012, in computeSensorData
  File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core.fromnumeric", line 2836, in std
  File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core._methods", line 125, in _std
  File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core._methods", line 102, in _var
MemoryError

Ok 2 bias , 2 flats and 1 light frame (that contained "saturated pixels") no darks  .. produced this error ...

**** 2015-09-13 17:20:07.374000 ****

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 9385, in __call__

File "<string>", line 8012, in computeSensorData

File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core.fromnumeric", line 2836, in std

File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core._methods", line 125, in _std

File "C:\Users\Lars\Documents\Python\APLab Project\build\APLab\out00-PYZ.pyz\numpy.core._methods", line 102, in _var

MemoryError

Ok, I think I know how that can be fixed, so I'll compile a new executable for you to try. But to sort out the issue with the saturated frame not loading, it would be nice of you could send me the saturated frame.

I still haven't read what the Saturated frame should be...  I'm probably using the wrong type of image...

OK just read it  I will check that the frame I was trying to use had some saturated pixels - it should have... Checked in PS CC and quite a few saturated 255 255 255 pixels

The file I was using is here...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8191904/IA%20Issues/P7D_0440.CR2

I still haven't read what the Saturated frame should be...  I'm probably using the wrong type of image...

OK just read it  I will check that the frame I was trying to use had some saturated pixels - it should have...

You're supposed to be able to load the image anyway, but I'm not sure why it freezes when you try.

Try the file called "aplab-v0.3.0-win-test.zip" from the bottom of the download page. Just replace the old APLab.exe with the one in the zip.

I've made it only use the central part of the images when computing sensor data. That should hopefully make the memory error go away.

Thanks that seemed to work....

It still  won't accept the frame I linked as a Saturated frame but allows it to be used as a light with saturated pixels and the results displayed..

Peter...

Can the image be loaded as a saturated frame if you load it before any other frames? Loading too many large images at the same time requires a lot of memory, so I suspect that to be the problem.

I'll look into reducing the memory consumption of the tool. :)

Can the image be loaded as a saturated frame if you load it before any other frames? Loading too many large images at the same time requires a lot of memory, so I suspect that to be the problem.

I'll look into reducing the memory consumption of the tool. :)

I will try it now...

I have 64GB RAM  installed an oodles of VM...

Peter...

I will try a different approach to storing the various versions of the images that are loaded.

A temporary solution (it worked for me at least) is to convert the images to tiff or fits and crop them. You can then load them by choosing "FITS and TIFF files" in the file loading window.

Hi Lars,

If there's anything I can do (file wise) to help you out just shout...  As well as the Full Spectrum 7D I have  "vanilla" 7DII and 5DIII's here...

Peter..

Thanks Peter. I think I'm good with the frames you've already provided.

I've made some modifications and it now works to load 7 frames before it gives up (rather than 2-3). I think it can be further improved though. The trade-off is a slightly longer delay when switching between frames. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Lars,

I was looking for something that would help optimising the parameters used when taking images and it looks like Astrophotography Lab will fit the bill.

I've just been using it and came across a problem:

I loaded 2 bias, 1 Light, 2 dark and 2 flat frames

Pressed 'Compute Sensor Data'

Saved Sensor data

However, in Image Calculator when I press 'Calculate Data' in the 'Signal' box both 'SkyGlow' and 'Target Signal' become 'nan'.

Can you suggest what I am doing wrong?

Regards,

Guy

BTW I've also sent you an email.

Archived