NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange Astrotortilla problem.

Bigfoot 9907

Greetings all, this is a bit of a weird one.

I’m using EQMOD, Stellarium scope, Stellarium, Orion camera studio and AstroTortilla. Hardware is heq5 mount with a SW 200p newt and the camera in question was a  Starshoot G3 CCD camera.  My other camera is a Canon 1000d Modded.  Astrotortilla works great with my Canon in the field and solves most images in under a minute. It saves me a lot of time.

However, I have now set it up for my Starshoot G3 and during offline testing, AT had solved most images I had given it. Last night was the first time I had used AT with my G3 in the field. Orion Studio is not one of the supported programs for AT, so I took a 10 second exposure and saved it. I imported the .FIT mage in to AT and low and behold AT was able to solve.

The strange thing was that when it slewed, the scope moved in the wrong direction to the selected Alignment star. So the target star was nowhere in sight. It was definitely highlighted in Stellarium. Never had this issue with my Canon 1000d.

Any ideas as to what could be happening. I am still very much learning, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Surinder

Don't use Astrotortilla myself, but one explanation is that your G3 is upside down?

Platesolvers will work with any orientation of the image, but I'd guess that to move your mount in the correct direction AT assumes your left side of frame is West or something.

Just a wild stab in the dark  - that's what platesolvers are for !

Michael

Archived