NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dumbbell Nebula (M27) 30th June 2015

The Dumbbell Nebula (M27) captured from London on June 30th 2015. This is my first attempt at imaging using a guide scope to get longer exposures and I'm quite pleased with the result. Up until now most of my images have been made with exposures of 30 seconds or less at ISOs of 3200 or 6400. This image consists of 19 two minute exposures at 800 ISO and it looks much better and was far easier to process. So I'd say this was a successful experiment and it's real relief to have made some progress with guiding which has baffled me for for my last two outings with the scope  :smiley:

post-33955-0-41846200-1435641960_thumb.j

19 x 2 minute exposures at 800 ISO

6 x dark frames

24 x bias/offset frames

Synthetic flat file made in Photoshop (because I didn't realise until I had packed up that I didn't have any flats at 800 ISO in my library).

Processed in Nebulosity and Photoshop

Good.

For a quieter background sky a large (12 pixel +) dither is recommended by Tony Hallas to remove what he calls 'colour mottle' on DSLRs. Might be worth a try.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/246659-anyone-use-registar/#entry2682991 Although he uses Registar I think any stacking-alignment software would do the trick.

Olly

Good.

For a quieter background sky a large (12 pixel +) dither is recommended by Tony Hallas to remove what he calls 'colour mottle' on DSLRs. Might be worth a try.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/246659-anyone-use-registar/#entry2682991 Although he uses Registar I think any stacking-alignment software would do the trick.

Olly

Thanks for that Olly. I'll certainly look into it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived