NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Histogram - planetary imaging

jambouk

Can someone explain why the histogram of my Logitech 4000 Pro is much broader than that of the ASI120MC, and has a less symmetrical appearance in Sharpcap? No IR cut filter on either in this test (and adding the IR cut filter doesn't alter things much); I adjusted gain, gamma, brightness, white balance etc and nothing changed the appearance of the two greatly. Both cameras pointing at the same light source (window) in this test and exposures adjusted to get about 50% along the X axis.

James

post-25543-0-01039200-1434214006_thumb.j

Yes, I think you are right.

The ZWO can achieve shutter speeds of 0.000064 seconds, whereas the fastest I can get the Logitech is 0.0001 seconds.

So I think the longer time the shutter is open for means that more light is allowed in and results in a greater dynamic range amongst the pixels, broadening the histogram. It's hard, but running the ZWO at a a much slower exposure (0.2 seconds) results in a broadened histogram - I suspect there must be differences in pixel homogeneity and QE too and other things.

But yes, it is due to exposure length. Thanks for that.

James

Archived