NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are synscan and supertrack handsets interchangeable?

As above really.

The sky watcher alt/az mount comes in full GOTO and super track versions and the handset is definitely interchangeable. However is this true between all the different sw alt/az scopes?

Eg, will the goto az handset work on a super track dob?

I know the super track handsets are interchangeable, as I've done it myself - just not sure if the GOTO handset is as well.

Thinking of getting the alt\az GOTO to mount my small frac for in the caravan, but it would be a mega bonus if the goto handset would work on my 12" tracking dob!!!!!

I think from older posts that they are, If I recall FLO said somewhere that they could be updated to goto by getting the Synscan handset, also sure people have said the same here, although one aspect is I think posts of this have related to the Heritage scopes. Curious that no-one else has jumped in to say so?????

One potential problem may be that Skywatcher now seem to have V3 and V4 Synscan handsets.

That may be a problem area as not sure what the differences are.

Stick a similar question in Mounts, just odd that no-one has said Y/N .

I had a Supertrack alt/az handset on my SW 12" dob when they first came out and switched it over to a Synscan goto alt/az handset. It was a straight swop - no mods required - but had to be the same version for both handsets (V3). I believe later versions also allow switching between alt/az and eq modes - but I say that very guardedly so don't quote me lol.

As Ronin says - you need to be very cautious with versions and know exactly what you're doing (eg get a retailers advice) or find someone who's done it with the same setup as yourself. :)

well i have some good news!

Spoke to Lee at Greenwitch telescopes today and he has advised it does work - with one proviso.

if its a really old supertrack (ie over 4/5 years old) then it wont work with the newer handsets. But will work with V3 and the older handsets. Everything else will work!

Archived